Photos

AETC 70th Anniversary

1942 -- Congress created the Women's Army Auxillary Corps. Members fo the WAAC primarily filled clerical positions, releasing men for combat duty. Pictured above are members of the WAAC contingent to arrive at Randolph Field. In September 1943, the WAAC was replaced by the Women's Army Corps. The WAC remained in existence until June 12, 1948, when congress passed the Armed Service Integration Act, and Women in the Air Force became a permanent designation. By the mid-1970s, the Air Force stopped using the WAF and began referring to both men and women as "Airmen." (Courtesy photo)

PHOTO BY:
VIRIN: 120123-F-AT123-027.JPG
FULL SIZE: 0.2 MB
Additional Details

No camera details available.

IMAGE IS PUBLIC DOMAIN

Read More

This photograph is considered public domain and has been cleared for release. If you would like to republish please give the photographer appropriate credit. Further, any commercial or non-commercial use of this photograph or any other DoD image must be made in compliance with guidance found at https://www.dimoc.mil/resources/limitations, which pertains to intellectual property restrictions (e.g., copyright and trademark, including the use of official emblems, insignia, names and slogans), warnings regarding use of images of identifiable personnel, appearance of endorsement, and related matters.