Skip to main content (Press Enter).
33rd Fighter Wing
33rd Fighter Wing
Search 33rd Fighter Wing:
Search 33rd Fighter Wing:
33rd Operations Group
33rd Maintenance Group
Wing Staff Agencies
COLONEL JOSEPH M. HASTINGS
Colonel Joseph M. Hastings is the vice commander of the 58th Special Operations Wing at Kirtland Air Force Base, New Mexico. The wing trains mission-ready special operations, combat search and rescue, missile site support and UH-1N distinguished visitor aircrews for the world's best aerospace force. He oversees the activities of 2,000 personnel, administering more than 100 training courses in 29 different crew positions, training 2,300 students annually.
Colonel Hastings graduated from Auburn University in 1984 and received his commission as a second lieutenant through ROTC in 1985. He is a master navigator with over 5,800 hours in the C-130E and MC-130H aircraft.
Colonel Hastings has significant experience in combat and contingency operations including Panama, Desert Storm, Haiti, Bosnia, Central Africa, Kosovo, Afghanistan, Iraq and the 2004 Tsunami relief efforts. During Operation Just Cause, Colonel Hastings helped save the life of a paratrooper hit by the intense enemy ground-fire that raked their aircraft during the airdrop over Rio Hato, Panama. He also commanded initial MC-130H combat missions in both Operations Enduring Freedom and Iraqi Freedom. Colonel Hastings is a former commander of the 1st Special Operations Squadron at Kadena Air Base, Japan. He held staff assignments at Headquarters, Air Force Special Operations Command and Headquarters, U.S. Special Operations Command.
1984 Bachelor of Arts degree in History, Auburn University, Ala.
1992 Squadron Officers School, Ala.
1995 Masters of Science degree in International Affairs, Troy State University, Fla.
1996 Air Command and Staff College (Correspondence)
2001 Air War College (Correspondence)
2006 Master of Arts degree in National Security and Strategic Studies, with distinction,
Naval War College, R.I.
1. Sep. 1985 - July 1986, student, Undergraduate Navigator Training, Mather AFB, Calif.
2. Oct. 1986 - May 1992, Special Operations Low Level II evaluator navigator, 40th Tactical Airlift Squadron, Pope AFB. N.C.
3. June 1992 - Oct 1992, MC-130H Combat Talon II initial cadre, 8th Special Operations Squadron,
Hurlburt Field, Fla.
4. Oct. 1992 - June 1994, evaluator navigator 15th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field
5. June 1994 - June 1996, chief, Group Standardization and Evaluation, MC-130H Branch,
16th Operations Group, Hurlburt Field
6. June 1996 - June 1997, chief, Fixed Wing Standardization and Evaluation,
Headquarters, Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field
7. June 1997 - May 1999, chief, Force Structure Analysis/Legislative Affairs; chief, Plans and Policy Branch, Headquarters, Air Force Special Operations Command, Hurlburt Field
8. May 1999 - May 2002, assistant director of operations, 7th Special Operations Squadron;
chief of group safety, 352nd Special Operations Group, RAF Mildenhall, United Kingdom
9. May 2002 - Oct. 2003, operations officer, 15th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field
10. Nov. 2003 - June 2005, commander, 1st Special Operations Squadron, Kadena Air Base, Japan
11. July 2005 - June 2006, student, U.S. Naval War College, Newport, R.I.
12. July 2006 - June 2007, joint program analyst, J-8, US Special Operations Command
13. June 2007 - June 2009, chief, Fixed Wing Assessment Division, U.S. Special Operations Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
14. June 2009 - Present, vice wing commander, 58th Special Operations Wing, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. October 2001 - January 2002, operations watch officer, Special Operations Command Europe- Forward, Headquarters U.S. European Command
2. July 2006 - June 2007, joint program analyst, J-8, U.S. Special Operations Command,
MacDill AFB, Fla.
3. July 2007 - June 2009, chief, Fixed Wing Assessment Division, U.S. Special Operations Command, MacDill AFB
Rating: Master Navigator
Flight Hours: Over 5800 (455 Combat)
Aircraft Flown: T-43, C-130E, MC-130H
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Defense Superior Service Medal
Bronze Star Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with six oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
Combat Action Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 1985
First Lieutenant June 1987
Captain June 1989
Major, May 1997
Lieutenant Colonel November 2001
Colonel May 2007
(Current as of October 2009)