Skip to main content (Press Enter).
33rd Fighter Wing
33rd Fighter Wing
Search 33rd Fighter Wing:
Search 33rd Fighter Wing:
33rd Operations Group
33rd Maintenance Group
Wing Staff Agencies
COLONEL MICHAEL A. ROMERO
Col. Michael A. Romero is Vice Commander of Air Force Recruiting Service, Headquarters Air Education and Training Command, Joint Base San Antonio- Randolph, Texas. As Vice Commander, Colonel Romero is responsible for obtaining sufficient numbers of qualified men and women to meet the personnel procurement requirements of today's and tomorrow's highly technological Air Force. The Air Force Recruiting Service comprises more than 2,600 Airmen and civilians in more than 1,200 recruiting offices across the United States and abroad.
Colonel Romero received his commission in 1989 through the Reserve Officer Training Corps, Central Washington University in Ellensburg. He began his flying career in the C-141B until 1995 when he transitioned to the MC-130H Combat Talon II. His flying assignments include McGuire AFB, N.J., Kadena AB, Japan, Kirtland AFB, N.M., Hurlburt Field, Fla., and as the deployed squadron commander for the 16th Expeditionary Special Operations Squadron in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. His staff assignments include Headquarters U.S. Special Operations Command, as air operations officer and chief of operations for USSOCOM's Interagency Task Force, MacDill AFB, Fla. as well as Chief, Wing Plans, 1st Special Operations Wing, Hurlburt Field, Fla. Within AFRS, Colonel Romero has served as Commander, 345th Recruiting Squadron, Scott AFB, Ill., Chief, IG Inspections Branch, HQ AFRS, and Chief, Plans and Resources Division, HQ AFRS, Randolph AFB, Texas.
Colonel Romero is a master navigator with more than 3,900 flying hours in a variety of aircraft.
1989 Bachelor of Science degree in business administration, Central Washington University, Ellensburg
1995 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2002 Master of Business Administration, Touro University International
2002 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2004 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.,
2005 Joint and Combined Warfighting School (JPME II), Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2006 Air War College, by correspondence
1. April 1990 - June 1991, Student, undergraduate navigator training, Mather Air Force Base, Calif.
2. June 1991 - April 1995, Navigator, Instructor Navigator, Evaluator Navigator, Special Operations Low Level qualification, 18th Airlift Squadron, 438th Operations Wing, McGuire AFB, N.J.
3. April 1995 - December 1995, Student, C-130E training, Little Rock AFB, Ark. and MC-130H training, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
4. December 1995 - May 1999, Navigator, Instructor Navigator, Chief of Flight Safety, 1st Special Operations Squadron and later Chief, MC-130H evaluator navigator, 353rd Special Operations Group, Kadena AB, Japan
5. June 1999 - July 2003, Chief, MC-130H evaluator navigator, 58th Special Operations Group, assistant operations officer, and later flight commander, 58th Training Squadron, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
6. August 2003 - June 2004, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
7. July 2004 - June 2007, Air Operations officer, J35 Future Operations Division and Chief of Operations, Interagency Task Force, Center for Special Operations, HQ U.S. Special Operations Command, MacDill AFB, Fla.
8. June 2007 - July 2008, Chief, Wing Plans, 1st Special Operations Wing, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
9. July 2008 - July 2010, Commander, 345th Recruiting Squadron, Scott AFB, Ill.
10. July 2010 - June 2011, Chief, IG Inspections Branch, HQ Air Force Recruiting Service, Randolph AFB, Texas
11. June 2011 - July 2013, Chief, Plans and Resources Division, HQ Air Force Recruiting Service, Randolph AFB, Texas
12. July 2013 - present, Vice Commander, Air Force Recruiting Service, Joint Base San Antonio-Randolph, Texas
Rating: Master Navigator
Flight Hours: More than 3,900, including 146 combat hours
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-43, C-141B, C-130E, and MC-130H
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Afghanistan Campaign Medal
Iraq Campaign Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Nov. 9, 1989
First Lieutenant Nov. 9, 1991
Captain Nov. 9, 1993
Major March 1, 2001
Lieutenant Colonel Feb. 1, 2006
Colonel July 1, 2011
(Current as of July 2013)