Skip to main content (Press Enter).
33rd Fighter Wing
33rd Fighter Wing
Search 33rd Fighter Wing:
Search 33rd Fighter Wing:
33rd Operations Group
33rd Maintenance Group
Wing Staff Agencies
LIEUTENANT COLONEL ERIK M. AXT
Lt. Col. Erik Axt is the Director of Staff for the 33rd Fighter Wing, Eglin AFB, Fla. As Director of Staff, he plans, organizes and directs the activities of wing staff agencies supporting the training of air battle managers, intelligence professionals and F-35 pilots. The wing’s facilities are used to conduct flying training for the F-35 A/C, maintenance training for the F-35 A/B/C, and air battle manager training for the U.S. Air Force, Marine Corps and Navy and multiple coalition partners.
Lieutenant Colonel Axt graduated from the United States Air Force Academy in 2000 with a Bachelor of Science in English. He earned his pilot rating from the Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training course at Sheppard AFB, Texas, and went on to fly the A-10 and deployed in support of Operation ENDURING FREEDOM.
The colonel served as the Chief, Regional Air Operations Coordination Center-East where he monitored conventional and special operations for Joint Terminal Attack Controllers in eastern Afghanistan. He served as a military exchange student officer at the Indonesia Air Command and Staff College and later served as the Chief of Plans and Requirements at Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea. Prior to this assignment, he served as the Chief of Training and Readiness with the Seventh Air Force Operations and Plans Directorate, ROK.
2000 Bachelor of Arts, English, U. S. Air Force Academy, Colo.
2000 Aerospace Basic Course, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2006 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2009 Air Command and Staff College, by correspondence
2009 Master of Arts, International Conflict Resolution, American Military University, Charles Town, W. Va.
2012 Associate of Arts, Language, Defense Language Institute, Calif.
1. August 2000 – March 2001, Executive Officer, 15th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
2. March 2001 – May 2002, Student, Euro-NATO Joint Jet Pilot Training, 80th Operations Support Squadron, Sheppard Air Force Base, Texas
3. May 2002 – July 2002, Pilot, Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, 435th Flying Training Squadron, Moody AFB, Texas
4. July 2002 – April 2003, Pilot, A/OA-10 Initial Qualification Training, 357th Fighter Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
5. April 2003 – February 2006, 4-ship Flight Lead, A/OA-10 Assistant Mission Planning Officer, Life Support Officer, 81st Fighter Squadron, Spangdahlem Air Base, Germany
6. August 2003 – November 2003, Pilot, A/OA-10, Assistant Mission Planning Officer, 81st Expeditionary Fighter Squadron, Deployed to Bagram AB, Afghanistan
7. September 2004 – January 2005, Pilot, A/OA-10, Mission Planning Officer, 81st Expeditionary Fighter Squadron, Deployed to Bagram Air Base, Afghanistan
8. February 2006 – March 2007, Instructor Pilot, A/OA-10, Chief of Scheduling, Flight Commander, 25th Fighter Squadron, Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea
9. March 2007 – May 2008, Flying Training Unit Instructor Pilot, A/OA-10, Unit Deployment Manager, Assistant Training Officer, 358th Fighter Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
10. May 2008 – June 2009, FTU Evaluator Pilot, A-10C, Assistant Wing Weapons Officer, Datalink Manager, 355th Operations Support Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
11. June 2009 – July 2010, FTU Evaluator Pilot, A-10C, Operations Group Executive Officer, 355th Operations Group, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
12. July 2010 – September 2011, FTU Evaluator Pilot, A-10C, Chief of Standardization/Evaluation, 357th Fighter Squadron, Davis-Monthan AFB, Ariz.
13. September 2011 – August 2012, Student, 311th Training Squadron, Defense Language Institute, Monterey, Calif.
14. September 2012 – January 2013, Student, Indonesian Language Center (PUSBAHASA), Jakarta, Indonesia
15. January 2013 – November 2013, Student, Indonesian Air Command and Staff College (SESKOAU), Lembang, Indonesia
16. January 2014 – September 2014, Chief, Plans and Requirements, Seventh Air Force Operations and Plans Directorate, Osan AB, Republic of Korea
17. September 2014 – January 2016, Chief, Training and Readiness, Seventh Air Force Operations and Plans Directorate, Osan Air Base, ROK
18. January 2016 – April 2016, Student, F-35A Transition/Instructor Course, 58th Fighter Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
19. April 2016 – June 2016, F-35A Instructor Pilot, Assistant Director of Operations, 58th Fighter Squadron, Eglin AFB, Fla.
20. June 2016 – June 2017, F-35A Instructor Pilot, Director of Inspections, 33rd Fighter Wing, Eglin AFB, Fla.
21. June 2017 – Present, F-35A Instructor Pilot, Director of Staff, 33rd Fighter Wing, Eglin AFB, Fla.
Ratings: Senior Pilot, Parachutist
Flight hours: More than 2,000 (300+ Combat)
Aircraft flown: T-37, T-38A, T-38C, A/OA-10A, A-10C and F-35A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS:
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION:
Second Lieutenant May 31, 2000
First Lieutenant May 31, 2002
Captain May 31, 2004
Major January 1, 2010
Lieutenant Colonel June 1, 2015
(Current as of October 2018)